No prior jewelry making experience required to take this class.
Weekend Beginner Silversmithing
with Cori Hughes
Sept 23 & 24
$195 + Gst
Overview - two Day Workshop:
Take a crash course in silversmithing, and spend a whole weekend learning the basics of the trade. Learn how to manipulate sterling silver into different types of jewellery. This class covers sawing, piercing, soldering, stone setting using bezels, filing and polishing
No experience necessary, this class is great for beginners, and out-of-towners. This class does not count as a pre-requisite to the Lost Wax Casting Class.
Objectives: This class covers sawing, piercing, soldering, stone setting using bezels, filing and polishing. Students will start with a pendant and then make a ring.
There is a $125 tool kit available or else you may purchase or bring your own separately. Throughout the course, students will receive various discounts on cut stones, metal and tools.
Contents of Required Tool Kit:
- 1- 4" Jeweler’s Sawframe
- 1- 6" 1/2 Round File (2 cut)
- 1- File Handle
- 1- 1/2 Round 4-cut Needle File
- 1 doz – 2/0 Saw Blades
- 1 pair – AA Tweezers
- 2 Drill Bits (1.0 & 0.8 mm)
- Emery Paper: (240, 280, 400)
- Emery Boards (Grey & Pink)
- 1- Bezel Pusher
- 1- Burnisher
- Fine-Tipped Sharpie Pen
Suggested Additional Tool List:
- 1- 6" Ring file – 4 cut (and handle)
Students will also need to purchase:
- Sterling Silver
- Cabochon Stone
- Bezel Wire
Please also bring a notebook..
Activities: In this 2 day intensive workshop you will:
1. Learn about sawing, piercing, polishing, setting cabochons and filing.
2. Plan, design and make your own pieces of jewellery and finish it by the end of the 8 weeks.
3. Learn about studio safety, tool use, how to set up your own workshop at home.
Class Tips: The class is a 2 day workshop. Think about what designs you would like to put on your piece. Would you prefer something small and understated or more of a statement piece. Bring your ideas, your dinner and your excitement to learn something new!
Call to register: 604-298-5883 or Toll free 1-888-593-1888
Instructor, Cori Hughes